Local Washington state health officials announced the second U.S. coronavirus-related death on Sunday after confirming the first just one day earlier. Both deceased men had underlying health conditions and were hospitalized at the EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland.
The Seattle & King County Public Health announced another death from COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total from the area and across the U.S. to two after one had been confirmed on Saturday. The first fatality was a man in his 50s who arrived at EvergreenHealth Medical Center showing respiratory issues, before later testing positive for coronavirus, according to health officials. The second was reportedly a man in his 70s.
With four new confirmed cases on Sunday, the total number of individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in King Country has risen to 10. State public health officials and the King County Executive’s Office will meet on Monday to formulate a response to the outbreak.
Newsweek reached out to the Seattle & King County Public Health for additional information.
Governor Jay Inslee on Saturday declared a state of emergency in Washington state following news of the first death. “It is a sad day in our state as we learn that a Washingtonian has died from COVID-19,” he said in a statement. “Our hearts go out to their family and friends. We will continue to work toward a day where no one dies from this virus.”
After the first death on Saturday, President Donald Trump continued to urge calm, before then sharing a New York Post poll one day later showing 77 percent confidence among citizens in the government’s ability to handle the outbreak. “If you are healthy, you will probably go through a process and you’ll be fine,” the president said on Saturday, before noting that “15 people have recovered from the virus.”
Hours after Trump tweeted the poll on Sunday, both Rhode Island and New York announced the discovery of their first positive case. The infected Rhode Island patient, who’s in their 40s, is being treated in hospital after visiting Italy mid-February.
“The Rhode Island Department of Health has been preparing for weeks to ensure that we have a structure in place to, to the best of our ability, limit or prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Rhode Island. We fully anticipated having a first case of COVID-19,” Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott said. “We are not seeing widespread community transmission in Rhode Island, and the general level of risk for Rhode Islanders is still low.”
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the state’s “first positive case of novel coronavirus” Sunday evening. The patient is a female in her late thirties who had caught the disease while traveling abroad in Iran. “She is currently isolated in her home. The patient has respiratory symptoms, but is not in serious condition and has been in a controlled situation since arriving to New York,” the governor said.